In this week's show, Ray talked us through his insurance win, we have another look
This story has been ported through from OnThrottle.co.nz
Husqvarna's long-awaited Norden 901 adventure travel model has finally been revealed in full.
Husqvarna Motorcycles Australia has confirmed the Norden 901 will become available in New Zealand dealers from March 2022 with pricing yet to be announced. For those who want to get in early, a pre-order process will be in place. If that sounds like you Husqvarna says to get in contact with your local authorised Husqvarna Motorcycles dealer for more information.
It feels like we've been waiting for Husqvarna's first adventure model for an eternity. In fact, since its debut at EICMA 2019 we've seen its cousin the KTM 790 Adventure evolve into the 890 Adventure in the time it has taken from first look to the full reveal of the Husky. So has it been worth the wait? Let's dive into the details announced by Husqvarna Motorcycles today.
Highlights for the Norden 901 include a 19-litre fuel tank, an 889cc parallel-twin engine housed in a light steel trellis frame producing 105hp/100Nm, long travel WP APEX suspension and dirt ready large diameter 21’’ front and 18’’ rear wheels.
Weight is claimed at 204kg dry while seat height is 854 / 874 mm thanks to an adjustable seat from the factory (full tech specs below).
Since we first saw the bike as a concept it has evolved into a more conventional production version. Gone is the tank mounted luggage rack that looked ready to rip your testicles off if you went over the bars, while the dash TFT has also gone conventional on us with a traditional single 5-inch TFT screen instead of the stacked twin TFTs as seen on the concept.
The Norden will offer an Optional Connectivity Unit though which will help provide turn-by-turn navigation, telephone call reception and music selection functionality from the rider’s smartphone directly to the TFT screen. The Ride Husqvarna Motorcycles App is also required for phone connectivity.
Being a premium European adventure product the Norden 901 is dripping in high-end electronics. The braking system is backed up by switchable Bosch Cornering ABS with Street and Offroad modes. Husqvarna Motorcycles’ lean-angle sensitive Cornering Motorcycle Traction Control (MTC) is also there to assist, with particular attention having been paid to its levels of offroad assistance.
The engine power is tamed by three selectable ride modes as standard (Street, Rain, Offroad) and an optional Explorer mode (similar to KTM's Rally mode on the 890) available to deal with every circumstance the rider might meet. There's also an Easy Shift function which allows for clutchless changes up and down the six-speed gearbox while a Power Assist Slipper Clutch (PASC) maintains rear wheel composure on heavy downshifting.
Husqvarna Norden 901 Technical highlights:
- Chromium-molybdenum steel trellis frame with the engine as a stressed member
- 889 cc parallel-twin engine with 105 hp peak power and 100 Nm of torque
- Adjustable WP APEX suspension provides exceptional comfort both on the street and offroad
- Three selectable ride modes (Street, Rain, Offroad) and optional Explorer mode
- Cutting-edge, switchable cornering ABS with Offroad mode
- Ride-by-wire throttle
- Easy Shift function
- Cornering-sensitive traction control allows for nine levels of adjustable rear wheel slip (in Explorer mode)
- Power Assist Slipper Clutch (PASC)
- Tubeless spoked wheels and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR tyres for peak performance on the street and offroad
- Large capacity, 19-litre fuel tank provides an extended range of up to 400 km
- Optional Connectivity Unit provides turn-by-turn navigation, telephone call reception and music selection functionality from the rider’s smartphone