In this week's show, Ray talked us through his insurance win, we have another look
Harley-Davidson are looking to spice things up with a limited edition Low-rider dubbed the El-Diablo. In a nod to an American West Coast custom styling trend, the Low Rider® El Diablo model combines lean performance and sport-touring versatility with a stunning panelled hand applied paint scheme and the sonic power of Harley-Davidson® Audio powered by Rockford Fosgate.
“The Low Rider El Diablo is a modern expression of the iconic 1983 Harley-Davidson FXRT and a representation of the creative times it was born in,” said Brad Richards, Vice President of Design and Creative Director – Motorcycles Harley-Davidson. “It embodies the spirit of counterculture in Southern California in the ‘80s in a contemporary package that features meticulously crafted custom paint, including pinstripe trajectories that nod directly to those of the original FXRT.”
The Icons Collection
An extraordinary series of motorcycles inspired by some of our most recognisable and sought- after models. Each Icon in the collection will celebrate H-D’s signature colours, designs, and parts — along with the latest technology. A limited collection, each model will be individually numbered and only produced once. A new Icon will debut annually, with no more than two bikes released in any given year.
Low Rider El Diablo Model
The Low Rider El Diablo is a model intended to take style and sport touring performance to an extreme. The Low Rider El Diablo model combines the touring capability of hard bags and a frame-mounted fairing with the taut handling performance of the Harley-Davidson Softail chassis and the V-Twin muscle of a Milwaukee-Eight 117 powertrain. Global production of the model will be limited to a one-time build of 1,500 serialised examples, scheduled to reach authorized Harley-Davidson dealers in Spring 2022, with a Recommended Ride Away Price of $39,995 in Australia and $42,750 in New Zealand*.
Artistry In Motion
The Harley-Davidson® Low Rider® ST motorcycle serves as the foundation of the Low Rider® El Diablo model. The limited-production Low Rider® El Diablo model transforms the look of the Low Rider® ST model with the addition of a detailed paint scheme applied by Gunslinger Custom Paint. The paint scheme begins with a base of El Diablo Bright Red and a second pass of Bright Red Sunglo. The red pinstripes are masked off, and a layer of El Diablo Dark Red and Dark Red Pearl is faded around the panel shapes to add depth. After masking, a layer of El Diablo Dark Red Metallic is applied to surround the El Diablo Bright Red colour, with a fade effect where the colours meet to add depth. When the masking is removed El Diablo Bright Red pinstripes are revealed on the saddlebags, tank sides, fenders, and fairing. Pale Gold pinstriping is then hand-applied within the El Diablo Bright Red panels. The El Diablo Bright Red Sunglo is formulated with a tinted clear element to create a “candy” effect.
Black finishes on the powertrain, front end and exhaust highlight the El Diablo paint scheme. Radiate cast-aluminium wheels are finished in contrasting Matte Dark Bronze.
The Low Rider® El Diablo motorcycle paint is hand-applied by the artisans at Gunslinger Custom Paint in Golden, Colo. The Gunslinger roster of nationally-known painters, designers, artists and manufacturing team leaders has decades of experience as a supplier of custom-painted components for Harley-Davidson® Custom Vehicle OperationsTM motorcycles and Limited Edition paint sets.
The Low Rider® El Diablo model features factory-installed audio designed for outstanding performance and an ideal fit within the fairing. A powerful, intelligent amplifier with digital signal processing (DSP) technology developed jointly by Harley-Davidson and Rockford Fosgate® is engineered to perform in the demanding motorcycle environment. The system connects to a mobile device via Bluetooth to play stored or streaming audio through a pair of built-in two- way speakers.
- Speakers include a pair of 5.25-inch woofers and two remote tweeters for great audio performance.
- Bluetooth 4.2 provides a strong wireless connection to most devices with minimal compression for outstanding sound quality.
- A compact 250-watt amplifier mounted within the fairing delivers crisp, clear sound quality at any volume.
- Connectivity with the Harley-Davidson® Audio powered by Rockford Fosgate® mobile app offers unique features like Automatic Volume Control (AVC) that allows hands-free
volume control based on vehicle speed, adjustable 7-Band EQ, firmware updating, and step-by-step system configurator.
Low Rider® El Diablo Model Key Features
• Frame-mounted fairing shape is inspired by the classic FXRT Sport Glide® model fairing, favoured by West Coast customisers.
o Aerodynamic performance was developed through CFD (computational fluid dynamics) analysis and real-world testing.
o A single centre and Softail® triple splitstream vents reduce rider head buffeting at highway speeds.
o A 6-inch high windshield has a Dark Smoke tint. o Single 5.75-inch LED headlamp.
• The Milwaukee-Eight® 117 V-Twin engine with precision oil/air cooling is the pinnacle of torque and displacement from a factory-installed, regular-production Harley-Davidson® powertrain. This engine delivers outstanding performance and instant bragging rights on the street.
o 117 cubic inch displacement.
o 167 Nm (123 ft. lbs.) of torque at 3500 RPM
o High-performance camshaft is matched to displacement and air flow intended to maximise performance.
o High-performance, tuned Heavy Breather intake with forward-facing exposed filter element flows more air into the engine to produce exciting mid-range torque, and gives the motorcycle added hot rod presence.
o High-performance 2-into-2 offset shotgun exhaust is tuned to provide smooth and broad mid-range torque while producing a stirring tone.
o Dual counter-balancers help reduce primary vibration at idle for improved rider comfort.
o Dealer-installed Screamin’ Eagle® Performance Parts Stage Upgrades from Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Parts & Accessories are available to boost engine performance even further.
- Lockable clamshell saddlebags can be removed in seconds with an internal quick-release mechanism, converting the bike from sport-touring to urban cruising mode. (Combined saddlebag capacity is 1.9 cubic feet/53.8 liters).
- Tall monoshock suspension raises the rear of the motorcycle to improve ride comfort and increase lean angle.
- Inverted 43mm forks.
- Dual front disc brakes.
- Premium Michelin® Scorcher® 31 tires (Front 110/90B19, Rear 180/70B16) enhance ride and handling performance.
- Digital “tech gauge” instrumentation in the handlebar riser presents a stripped-down “no gauges” look.
- A deep solo seat helps hold rider in place during aggressive acceleration and cornering.
- One-inch-diameter moto handlebar mounted on four-inch pull-back risers is a West Coast style element that puts the rider in an aggressive posture on the bike.
- Low-profile tank console.
- Bright LED brake/tail lamps.
- USB charging port.
- Standard Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) and Cruise Control.